Wednesday, June 20, 2012

This summer is Beachin


 Tybee Island, GA
 This is the beach at Tybee Island in Georgia. I don't know what it is but I love the Atlantic Coast (AC). I have been to a lot of beaches in my day, and yes the burning sand on the AC is a slight downfall, but it always makes me feel so happy. Its probably because I have such fond memories of going to the beach when we would go to New Jersey. I remember boogie boarding and running in and out of the ocean all day as the waves would chase us out and draw us back in. I remember building sand castles and collecting shells. Haha, don't be mad Em, but I remember you sunbathing a lot. I remember the HOT HOT sand as we would run back to the car at the end of the day. The boardwalk always seemed so much further when we were leaving then when we got there in the morning. I remember always always Grandma with her jugs of water. Then when I think of those jugs of water, I think of Grandmas house and I can still remember the way it smelled. I loved that smell. I loved playing in the basement. There was one dress in particular that I would put on every time and imagine I was a character in the movie Oaklahoma.  It was a green and white checkered dress. The horse in the basement played a key role in all my Oklahoma charades. I had a crazy imagination though, still do. I remember Grandpa and his big chair in the front room. As I type this I can see myself walking through the whole house. I loved that house. Oh how I wish I could go there one more time. I miss Grandma and Grandpa Jones so much! For some reason when I hold Henry and talk to him I think of Gramps a lot! I wish I got to see them more. I love thinking about those memories. One more memory from me, Zipper! I loved that dog probably the only dog I've ever really liked.

 Basically Reese did not leave the water. Christopher and I had to take shifts in the water but mostly he stayed with her all day, and I was with this chunky pig.
 She sat in that same position for so long until the water slowly cleared her big pile of sand away. When we got there and set up our chairs in the morning our seats were pretty much right at the water line. Look how far back the chairs were at the end of the day.
 We had a really great time. I know Reese won't remmeber this trip but I hope to create memories for her just like mom and dad did for us. Its not easy packing kids up with all of the stuff they need and driving hours to our destination. When we got there in the morning and drove around for an hour trying to find a place to park, I tried to stay positive. Then getting to the beach and setting everything up kind of took the sails out of me and I was thinking we would only stay a little while. But the day got better and I chilled out and it turned into a vacation I will never forget taking with this little family of mine.  


Destin, FL
Basically Uncle Ben can be likened to a Mother Hen. His nieces and nephews are his chicks. He has a certain something that the kids just can't resist. If he is doing something they all jump at the chance to be with him. It is pretty great to watch. He has most recently won the heart of my little Annabelle. She has been a long time coming to warm up to Uncle Ben despite the fact that when he is not around she talks about him NON-STOP. This trip made up for all the times she couldn't even bring herself to look at him. She would not leave his side. I think these two girls below mauled Uncle Ben day and night. Thank you for being so sweet to her always! These kids are so lucky to have such great Aunts and Uncles on both sides of their family.
We had such a good weekend in Florida. Reese loved being with her cousins and Henry loved all the extra kisses. We were so lucky to be able to stay in a condo right on the Beach. Ben and Ursula were so great to share their vacation spot with us. All 18 of us in a two bedroom condo. Now that is love!
Love these cousin shots!

We played volleyball, girls vs. guys. It was so much fun. Dennis and Kae kept their eye on Henry for me and it was so nice to get some serious exercise in. I couldn't move for a good 3 days after we played. I can't wait for a rematch next time. Hopefully we will have the rest of the wives of these Dougherty boys. Then we will have some real height! Anne, Ade and Angela. I'm calling you out we need you next year!

This baby girl loves the Beach but had a little bit of a hard time. The Ocean was a little rough while we were there and it was hard for her to play in the water. Good thing Landon is always good for a hug! He is such a sweet boy.
 
I hope to get to the beach one more time this summer before we head to the Midwest and the Ocean is out of the question for a short weekend get away.

3 comments:

Foulgers said...

W!!! That looked like so much fun I love Reeses suits, Aims has a couple of them :) And oh henry! Such a Big boy!!! Miss you like crazy, love you

Tia Bowen Films said...

look s like a blast! you are a good little writer! love your memories, you've had a good life. so do/will your kids. love that last picture of reese, so adorable. henry is huge, can't believe it! and the one pic i saw of you on christopher's shoulders- you look hot, as usual. :) fun summer!!

DOUGHERTY FAMILY said...

That was one memorable time in Destin!!!! Thanks so much for coming and adding the finishing touch to our fun!!! Great memories are so important and we made some top notch ones!!! Love you all!!!!